Sunday, October 23, 2011

Command Key: An Update

This is a small update to  Command Key: My First Month with a Mac Mini

I bought a Mac Mini at the beginning of August, and I have not used it much since the end of August due to a lack of interest. I feel mostly comfortable with using a Mac, but my Mini is so underpowered in comparison to my main system that I find myself using the PC. When I am able to work on a serious side-project, I will use the Mac Mini for testing purposes and possibly development.

OSX is great. VirtualBox on OSX is not so great:


This is OSX’s blue screen equivalent, and VirtualBox caused it. For the record, this was the only time where VirtualBox crashed my host machine. Guest machines always have weird issues, but VB crashing the HOST is absurd.

VirtualBox may stink occasionally, but it has its uses. Alfred has no odor and is very useful. Alt-Space (by default) brings-up a menu where you can type the name of an installed, a web address, or something to search for, and Alfred launches the app, web site, or search result page. I have never seen anything as powerful as it for Windows or other environments (Launchy comes close but feels somewhat dated on Windows 7).

Other cool apps:
  • iTerm2 - a terminal replacement that adds some really nice features (like split windows)
  • AppCleaner - app uninstaller
  • Sublime Text - multiplatform (and non-free) text editor with cool features like multi-line editing; I recommend trying it